Organizations use Microsoft SharePoint as a secure place to store, organize, share, and access information from any device. All you need is a web browser, such as Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox.
What is Sharepoint?(Video)
- Unlike OneDrive, SharePoint, by design, is a team collaboration workspace. A given SharePoint site has multiple team members, and as long you have access to the site, you have access to all the content the site has to offer (documents, news, links, pages, lists, and so on)
What is the difference between OneDrive, Sharepoint, and Teams?
Each of the programs has a specific function within the Office 365 suite. The main thing that they all have in common is that they are a way to manage your files. The easiest way to describe their differences is that OneDrive is used for your files; things that apply just to you. Teams is used for you and the people in your department/group/team; things that you all need access to. Sharepoint is used as a 'view-only' page that can be shared for anyone to see, or a place for you to store files that have open access to those who need it.
The following diagram can give you more information on what each of the programs does and its main use:
Syncing Sharepoint Sites to File Explorer
This is how to use the modern syncing method to add a Sharepoint site to File Explorer so that it looks like both Onedrive and a Shared Drive but functions as its own syncing entity.
Adding through Teams
1. Launch Teams and select the
icon on the left hand column.
2. Click on the Team you wish to sync from the left hand side and then select the channel (normally, General is the main default channel)
3. Click “Files” at the top middle(highlighted in blue in the picture below) and then you should see a list of folders and some options at the top.
4. Select the “Sync” option at the top (outlined in red in the picture) and if you do not see the “Sync” option, click on the three dots icon (outlined in green in the picture) and then click the “Sync” option.
5. Click “Close” on the popup that comes up and you will now be syncing your files.
6. You can find your files in File Explorer by clicking on the Folder icon on your taskbar and then you will see your syncing files underneath the UMass Lowell menu (outlined in red in the picture).
Adding through Web
1. Start by going to this link and signing in to get into your Sharepoint web interface. https://studentuml.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx
2. Then click on the Sharepoint site you wish to sync to your computer.
3. Then click on “Documents” on the left hand side of your screen (outlined in red in the picture below).
4. Next click on the “Sync” button in the top middle of the screen.
5. Click the “Open Microsoft OneDrive” in the window that appears.
6. You can find your files in File Explorer by clicking on the Folder icon on your taskbar and then you will see your syncing files underneath the UMass Lowell menu (outlined in red in the picture below).